Mechanical Engineers Jobs Vacancy at African Regional Intellectual Property Organization December, 2021
mechanical engineering jobs in tanzania, mechanical engineering jobs in tanzania 2021, aripo vacancies, intellectual property vacancies, aripo and oapi, aripo contact details, roles of aripo, aripo director general, aripo zimbabwe,
AFRICAN REGIONAL INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ORGANIZATION (ARIPO)
Job Position: Mechanical Engineers
The Organization Background
The African Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO) (hereinafter referred to as “the Organization”), is an Intergovernmental Organization, which was established at Lusaka, Zambia, in 1976 by an Agreement concluded under the auspices of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
The Organization was created, inter alia, to promote the development of Intellectual Property (IP) laws appropriate to the needs of its members, establish common services and training schemes, and assist its members in the acquisition and advancement of technology and the evolving of common views on IP matters.
The Organization grants and administers IP titles on behalf of the Member States and provides IP information to its clientele in the form of search services, publications and awareness creation. Membership of the Organization is open to all Member States of the African Union (AU).
The present members of the Organization are: Botswana, Kingdom of Eswatini, The Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Kingdom of Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia,
Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. (Total: 20 States)
The organs of the Organization are:
- the Council of Ministers, consisting of Ministers who are responsible for the administration of intellectual property matters in the respective Member States;
- the Administrative Council consisting of Heads of Offices dealing with the administration of intellectual property , in the respective Member States; and
- the Secretariat (the Office of ARIPO) headed by the Director General as the Chief Executive Officer of the Organization.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Applications are invited from suitable candidates to be considered for appointment to the post of Corporate Services Executive of the Organization, the full description of which is as follows:
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Duration of Appointment: Fixed-term contract of five (5) years (renewable, subject to satisfactory performance)
Search and examine Industrial Property (IP) rights applications received by the Organization to determine if they comply with relevant legal requirements pursuant to the granting of legal protection. Under the supervision of the Head of Search and Substantive Examination, the Patent Examiner: Mechanical Engineering will carry out the following tasks:
- Investigate patent applications in the field of Mechanical Engineering to ensure sufficiency of disclosure to facilitate consideration for registration;
- Search through earlier publications; technical literature and online databases to assess the legal aspects of the patent application’s specifications to make sure that the application is new;
- Examine inventions from a technical standpoint to ensure that the invention is novel, clearly described and appropriate for use;
- Classify applications in accordance with International Patent Classification (IPC);
- Discuss and consider legal matters affecting patentability and entitlements to the invention claimed by the applicant;
- Support the development of IP Rights information and documentation management system;
- Ensure the efficient and effective delivery of IP Rights through; timely publishing of reports and delivery of these to applicants and/or patent agents;
- Ensure effective communication and resolution to disputed matters with applicants and/or Patent Agents;
- Participate in capacity building and knowledge sharing activities within the Organization and amongst its stakeholders (including Member States, Institutions of higher learning, research institutions, Inventors etc.) to promote creativity, innovation and the utilization of IP; and
- Perform any other duties and tasks as may be assigned or delegated.
Minimum qualifications and experience required:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Honours) in Mechanical Engineering & seven (7) years’ relevant experience. Or
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering & five (5) years’ relevant experience.
Role and mission critical competencies required:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and other relevant ICT packages
- Confidentiality, professionalism and respect for integrity and accuracy of examination results
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Initiative and time management
- Ability to work independently and under pressure whilst remaining adaptable and flexible
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encouraging the learning of others
- Judgment, organizing, problem solving, analysis and decision-making skills
- Excellent research and report writing skills
Nationality: Tanzania, Botswana, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Swaziland, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Age: Minimum 35 years at the time of application.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Conditions of employment shall be subject to the ARIPO Staff Rules and Procedures or be determined by the Administrative Council of the Organization.
Salary and allowances on first appointment shall be those applicable to Grade D1 Step 1 of the ARIPO salary scales of the professional category.
Base Salary: US$66,990 per annum.
Post Adjustment Allowance: Depending on the rise and fall in value of the United States dollar, a post adjustment index which is presently 56.4% of base salary is applied as a cost of living allowance.
Dependency Allowances: US$1,800 per year for a dependent child. Maximum number of children three (3).
Other benefits include:
- Payment of travel and removal expenses;
- Once-off installation grant;
- Education grant of US$9,000 per year for each child, up to a maximum of three children;
- Housing allowance;
- Contributory medical aid scheme;
- Annual leave of 34 working days; and
- Paid home leave every two years.
The appointment is subject to a satisfactory United Nations type medical examination to be conducted by an ARIPO nominated medical practitioner.
APPLICATIONS AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS:
Applicants should submit an application letter together with: detailed curriculum vitae indicating pertinent personal data, and names, professional designations and addresses of two persons from whom evidence-based, professional references can be obtained; certified copies of relevant academic and professional certificates; police clearance; and a passport size photograph.
Applicants should indicate in their personal data, the following:
- family name and first names;
- date and place of birth;
- nationality and detailed present address;
- full names, relationship, gender and date of birth of dependents;
- language abilities both written and spoken;
- educational background (main subjects, institutions, diplomas or degrees and marks of merit;
- employment record (present or most recent employment, previous employment); and (viii) any other relevant information.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS:
Applications addressed to the Director General of ARIPO and saved as a single pdf file should be submitted by email only at email@example.com not later than 24th January 2022. The reference to be indicated on the email subject is “Corporate Services Executive”.
Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the ARIPO Office on official letterhead at which stage they shall be requested to submit a certificate of evaluation/accreditation of their Degree qualifications from their respective National Qualifications Authority.
ARIPO does not charge any fee and neither does it use any employment agents at any stage of the recruitment process.