Economic Diplomacy Fund Lead at Palladium Tanzania January, 2022
Job Position: Economic Diplomacy Fund Lead for Productivity for Prosperity (P4P)
About Palladium – Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with governments, businesses, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. With a team of more than 3,000 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of over 35,000 experts, we help improve economies, societies and, most importantly, people’s lives.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or any other circumstance, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.
Project Overview and Role:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
FCDO’s Productivity for Prosperity (P4P) will be a sustainable economic transformation programme that will look to increase labour productivity and climate-resilience in Tanzania’s job-creating sectors. It will achieve this through private sector development (investment facilitation, trade facilitation and building capabilities of firms) and business environment reform (supporting proportionate and predictable regulation). P4P will also provide a single streamlined platform to support the UK’s economic and climate diplomacy in Tanzania, in partnership with CDC and the Department for International Trade.
Specific to economic and climate diplomacy, P4P will provide demand-driven TA to complement the work done by FCDO & the Government of Tanzania in relation to economic growth and climate adaptation. TA could include, as suggested by FCDO, the provision of embedded advisers to government, economic and climate research, political economy analysis, policy formation, and organising workshops and events.
The key responsibilities of the Economic Diplomacy Fund Lead are outlined below. It is to be noted that these are not exhaustive and may evolve with the delivery of the programme.
- Develop and manage strong relationships with FCDO advisory and policy staffs, as well as Government of Tanzania, and private sector representatives.
- Closely collaborate with FCDO advisory and policy staffs to develop ToRs for projects that reflect both Government of Tanzania & the British High Commission in Tanzania prosperity and climate objectives.
- Assist the Political Director in representing the programme both with client offices, and external audiences as needed.
- Develop strong working relationships and a regular dialogue on programme progress and challenges with Palladium’s core team and the client.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with the Programme Senior Manager, the Strategy Director and the Political Director.
- Assist Senior Programme Manager in the effective implementation of workstream related work plans and to ensure delivery it stays on time, within budget, meets client and stakeholder expectations and is contractually compliant.
- Monitor workstream implementation progress; maintain up-to-date project logs and registers; work to resolve issues, manage and mitigate risks; and escalate material issues and risks as appropriate.
- Ensure good governance & compliance practices, including Due Diligence of partners and hired external consultants; or development of programme manual.
- Support the Programme Leadership, when relevant, in preparing high level discussions with FCDO and in developing any internal/external-facing documents related to the programme.
- Lead on the design of the Fund’s strategy, notably in developing a portfolio of projects related to climate offset markets (linked with Article 6 of Paris Agreement), Blueprint implementation (Tanzania’s 2018 policy), and Agri-tech market opportunities.
- Support delivery of the workstream’s programme outputs in cooperation and consultation with technical advisors, Programme Director, Strategy/Political Directors, FCDO, partners, the government and other key stakeholders.
- Support the Programme’s Director & Senior Manager in the preparation of workstream relevant work plans and budgets; staffing plans; performance improvement plans and other plans as required.
- Guide, nurture and manage STTAs, supporting them in delivery of their workplan deliverables.
- Coach and offer feedback and advice and technical input in and when required.
- Recruit, hire and manage consultants as needed to carry out activities.
- Ensure the project provides and demonstrates Value for Money.
- Ensure the programme adheres to the budget and oversee budget variations and contract amendments.
- Experience working with key local government departments and institutions involved in economic diplomacy, climate policy and private sector development.
- Experience working with British High Commission or/and FCDO advisors and staffs on climate and economic related topics policies.
- Experience in supporting private sector development and business reform.
- Very good understanding of climate and nature policies in Tanzania
- Experience working with donor (preferably FCDO) funded programmes
- Strong experience in managing complex teams.